PLAY WESTWARD TRAIL - click there to play the westward trail game
Quarter 3 Project - Settler's Survival Diary
Below are some resources you can use for your Westward Expansion Project
- Hardships on the Trails
- PBS KIDS - ALL ABOUT TRAVELING - this website has different tabs at the top -
as you click through them you will see different articles about different topics.
-Take a tour of the different trails - Tours of Oregon, Santa Fe, and California Trail
-Oregon Trail Hardships
Oregon Trail Hardtimes
Trail of Tears
Wagons & and Santa Fe
General Traveling information
How to Pack for traveling west
4 Journal entries detailing hardships
-- you may choose any of the following trails to take
1. Oregon Trail
2. California Trail
3. Santa Fe Trail
4. Trail of Tears
o Your will be writing 4 journal entries about moving west.
Your journal entries should include information about the following:
1) Describe a hardship that you faced looking specifically at traveling difficulties. What hardship have you dealt with that is making traveling difficult? Broken wheel? Torn tarp? Loss of an animal? Be creative!
2) Describe a hardship related to people that you met along the way west. These hardships allow you to think about war or finding Native Americans that are either friendly or aggressive.
3) Describe a hardship related to the types of land that you are traveling over and weather. This means that you will have to define the season you are traveling in and where you are in the United States.
4) Describe your arrival in the west. Where are you? How do you feel? What are you going to do first?